Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ho Hum

I'm feeling pretty boring lately. I know I shouldn't feel that way--i think so much of our reality is created by our state of mind. And I don't want to be a pitiful Eeyore-type. I want to be fun-loving and high energy. But I still occasionally get this boring feeling since being put on house arrest and it prevents me from fully embracing this whole blogging concept. It's why I've only posted 4 or 5 times since starting this blog in January.

Today, I made breakfast for my family. Whole wheat toast, oatmeal and coffee for Hubby, pancakes and chicken sausage for my son and I. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about my cholesterol. Hubby is not so fortunate.

I purchased two items off of a wedding registry for a couple getting married on Friday. It seems Friday is the new Sunday when it comes to lower-cost weddings. . .

I finally feel like I can handle both kids on my own, so I took them to the Long Beach Aquarium. It was a lovely day. A little chilly to be wearing only a tank top and capris though. Next time I will bring a cardigan. There is sure to be a next time since we were given annual passes as a Christmas gift and I've only now been able to take advantage of that.

I didn't even notice the earthquake. The three of us were in an elevator on our way to check out the jellyfish. I've been on so many crappy elevators that my jiggly ride didn't even phase me. It is fortunate that my son didn't notice either, because he thinks he is terrified of earthquakes. At five years old, he is too young to remember experiencing one, but he has expressed to me in passing that he would be terrified if we ever had one.

We walked around for a couple of hours and then got hungry. I hate food at places like zoos and amusement parks, so we exited and walked over to Chili's for lunch. My son was skeptical of any restaurant named "Chili's" because he doesn't like chiles, but he was pleasantly surprised. He loved his pizza and fries and I loved the chance to sit and relax and munch on a burger and fries as well. It also reminded me that one of my first jobs was as a hostess at Chili's. I was fired after two weeks. Very amusing memories 18 years later . . .

We had to return home after lunch because the nanny/housekeeper locked herself out of my house. We got home around 3 and I put on a Pokemon video for my son and napped with the baby for a couple of hours. My sweet boy came and put his warmest outfit over the top of me because he thought it would help keep me warm and comfy as I snoozed. I don't know how I got so lucky to have two of the sweetest children ever.

About 7 pm, I felt sort of adventurous and decided to get out of the house again and go look for a dinette set. The hole in the wall shop I wanted to go to was closed so Alex and I went to Ikea instead. Ikea is always fun. Like Costco, I always walk out with a bunch of random stuff that I never thought I needed until I saw it offered at such a reasonable price. Today I purchased a set of 6 drinking glasses, a red rug for the kitchen, window shade material that I'm going to use to try to sew into blinds to go under my sheer bathroom window shades, 8 rolls of wrapping paper, and 4 rolls of ribbon. I also confirmed that I still don't like any Ikea furniture. So I can now say that I shopped around first when I buy a new dinette set for our kitchen. Also made a mental note not to shop at Ikea close to closing time. Alex was happy as a clam all day until we got into the horrendous line to checkout as the store closed. Not an ideal situation.

Came home and deleted America's Got Talent from my DVR. I caught the last few minutes of the show live and the hoaky melodramatic montage about a guy who served in Iraq and now wants to be a singer was just too much for me. The entire show is too phony for me. I despise any efforts to tug at my heartstrings when those efforts feel overly deliberate, insincere and formulaic.

Watched Law and Order SVU part time while playing with Alex. This was entertaining, although mildly annoying because I am put off by all wannabee Silence of the Lamb-knockoff characters. Baby cooed and babbled with me making me feel so proud. Like most parents, I'm convinced my 2 month old daughter is especially gifted and brilliant.

I also watched a new show with Benjamin Bratt--"The Cleaner" or something like that. This is a weird show. I'm not sure about the concept of a guy being a hero by curing people of their addictions. I predict it won't last very long. But I will probably watch it since it is on when nothing else is on.

So there it is. My boring day that probably would not be boring if I had a more upbeat attitude.

2 comments:

UmassSlytherin said...

why are you on house arrest? what did you do? did you shoplift or something? steal a car? what? and if you are on house arrest, why do they let you go to the aquarium and stuff? did you see that movie Disturbia? the guy in that movie was on house arrest and they put an ankle bracelet on him and he wasn't allowed to go anywhere. the guy in that movie was hot. he is the kid in Even Stevens and the new Indiana Jones movie. He's hot. I'd hit it.

weezermonkey said...

You couldn't be an Eeyore if you tried!

The "new friends" were Giggles' friends from another outpost of the CIA, as well as a friend from a Muslim organization.