Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thanks Peter Griffin and Ben Gibbard!

For most of my life, television shows and commercials were filled with jokes I didn't "get" and unfamiliar tunes that I mistook for original. Then one day, as if the skies opened and a ray of light shone down, I understood. Suddenly, every joke and cultural reference spoke directly to me and I "got" them all. Commercials, for the most part, started playing familiar songs from either the playlist of my youth or my current playlist. That's when I knew, for the first time, that I'm getting old. My contempories, not some old guy in a suit, are writing this stuff and putting it on the air. I think I was watching Family Guy and a commercial came on and played Postal Service at the time this startling revelation hit me. I'm reminded every time I hear Death Cab for Cutie in a darn commercial.

I think this all means that I've hit "middle age." That dreaded time in life when you are no longer young, but still think you are, and are teetering on the brink of being "old." I guess I will know I'm old when all these writers and execs retire and television once again becomes an unfamilar place filled with jokes I don't get and tunes I've never heard.

2 comments:

weezermonkey said...

What?! I refuse to believe that The Postal Service and Death Cab are "old people music."

We miss you, chica! When are we going to lunch again?

Erika said...

Hola Borigua!!,

I know what you mean about Cuban food is the closet thing out here.

Cocopalm was a fun place and they have some awesome food!!

I have family in South Jersey and there are alot of Puerto Ricans out there but, its always so nice to find some in Cali!!

both my dad and mom are PR and my dad was born there.

never been there myself but hopefully one of these days....:)